Welcome

Luxulyan is a village and civil parish in central Cornwall, United Kingdom. The village is situated four miles (6.5 km) northeast of St Austell and six miles (10 km) south of Bodmin. The parish's population was 1,490 in the 2011 census, and comprises 5410 acres of land and 22 acres of water.

  

Churchtown in 1907                                   Churchtown 2012

Luxulyan parish lies in an area of china clay quarries on the St Austell granite batholith and numerous small granite domes are dotted around the parish.

Luxulyanite, a rare type of Cornish granite (named after the village) is found in the area. It was used for the Duke of Wellington's sarcophagus in St Paul's cathedral and recently for a village marker, engraved by a local stonemason.

Luxulyan is best known for the Luxulyan Valley, a steep sided and thickly wooded stretch of the valley of the River Par that contains a major concentration of early 19th century industrial remains, including a combined Aqueduct and Viaduct. The valley was designated a World Heritage Site in 2006.

wikipedia.org

Luxulyan Parish Church